Rootsmagic 3 - A preliminary review

Dec 4, 2006 10:28 AM

I thought you deserved an update on the Rootsmagic situation as I mentioned a while ago that it was in the mail. I received the disk and manual a little over a week ago and was very impressed with the packaging of the product as the CD ROM is well packaged in a sturdy protective case (albeit oversized like a DVD case) and the book was very professional in appearance.

I have been carrying the book around with me waiting for some time to read it before I installed the program. Yes I am one of THOSE people (gotta read the manual, typical woman). I finally finished reading it yesterday. It was a well written book and only took a few hours even though it was packed with lots of useful information and thorough explanations of how the program works.

I am glad I read the book as I was pleasantly suprised to learn that Rootsmagic has the following features:
- IGI search and UPDATE (Legacy has this, but TMG only has the search);
- book/report publishing center (Legacy has this, TMG doesn't although you can have multi report table of contents and indexes);
- real footnotes/endnotes (actually I was told this and it is the only reason for getting Rootsmagic, Legacy doesn't but TMG does);
- integration with GenSmarts. I love Gensmarts - if you haven't tried it and you don't have Legacy - get it! (Legacy has a similar feature and I am not sure if you need both although I hear GenSmarts is better, subsequently Legacy doesn't have in-program integration although TMG does);
- communication log. I mentioned the communication log in one of my previous postings. The fact that it has custom fields for recording your emails and letters etc is great. Legacy only offers a workaround using the research log at this time, same with TMG.

Anyway, stay tuned as I'm planning a more in depth review/discussion of this program in the next week, just as soon as I've given it a thorough test drive.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

© 2016 All Rights Reserved

All words, art and images are my own unless otherwise stated. Please do not use them without my express permission as they are subject to copyright. Thanks.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive