I's Birth Story

Aug 5, 2008 4:12 PM

Here's Imara's birth story. 

"At 6am I woke up and got ready to go to the hospital.  After phoning at 6.30am to confirm I could come in for induction, we arrived at around 7.45am.  At 8:15am the doctor confirmed there was still no dilation (1 week overdue) and that my cervix wasn't effaced.  She applied "gel" and left the hospital.  I was to be monitored for 1 hour and then released to come back at 3pm to see how the gel was working.

In the 1 hour I was there, I started having contractions that were about 3 minutes apart.  The hospital decided that I wasn't going to be released unless the contractions stopped or slowed down to outside of 5 minutes apart.  Well that didn't happen and at 1.00pm I was still there having contractions about 2-3 mins apart.  They decided to start setting up a birthing room for me.  By the time we got in there (about 2.00pm) the contractions were much stronger and I was 3cm dilated.

After another hour the contractions started to get much stronger to the point where I requested something for the pain.  That got them a bit worried so they called in the resident doctor to take a look (now 5cm).  They phoned my doctor to ask what I could take for the pain (I didn't have an IV yet) and an IV was approved.  When they got back the contractions were pretty strong and I told them I was starting to feel the need to push.  They decided to check my dilation and were shocked to discover that I was fully dilated. 

They phoned for my doctor to come immediately and started preparing the room for delivery. Luckily one of the other doctors I know from our clinic walked in at that moment (she had just delivery her patient) and took charge with the resident assisting.  4 contractions later (seriously) we had a baby girl.  About 5 minutes later my own doctor walked in (oops!).  All in all, we were lucky to have a quick delivery (only 2 hrs 15 mins spent in the birthing room - thank goodness).

Unfortunately (as with delivery #1) there were no waters and there was meconium so Imara was whisked away to the nursery for the first 5 hours leaving me babyless until 9.15pm."

You Might Also Like

2 comments

© 2016 All Rights Reserved

All words, art and images are my own unless otherwise stated. Please do not use them without my express permission as they are subject to copyright. Thanks.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive