art

Pastel Palette

Saturday, January 01, 2011

I love color! Just looking at colorful things makes me happy.  I'd thought I'd share my colorful pastel palette with you.  It makes me so happy to look at it.  I keep it all in my Heilman Pastel box which I bought myself for my birthday about 3 or 4 years ago?  It is the most well made, sturdy little box and I highly recommend every pastel artist have one.

You can travel with the box and don't have to worry about any "crunching" of pastels as there is memory foam inside holding everything in place.  In the studio you can open it and "lock" it open.  You can place it open on a table or, get this, there is a tripod mount underneath so you can place it at any height on a tripod (this is great for plein air).


This is the smallest size and you can see how much it holds (this shot is cropped so there is even more you can't see).  It folds up to little more than the dimensions of a smallish pad of paper (10x13 ish) and has both a handle and shoulder strap for carrying.


In it I keep my Terry Ludwigs (I *heart* these, I would be their spokesperson if they let me!) they are beautiful soft pastels but too small (and too gorgeous) to break, my Sennelier 100 Landscape set (these have been broken in half), my Rembrandts (general 30 and portrait 30 sets) broken, my prismacolor nupastels (30 set).  I have another 60 Terry Ludwigs (the Salamagundi set) that I haven't put in yet because I'm not sure I have room to put in all of them and I don't want to split the set.


Just looking at them makes me want to go play and get dusty! Yes, the downside is the dust, believe me in my house you wouldn't necessarily notice any more dust, but it's important not to breath it in because of the risk associated with certain pigments.

Hope you enjoyed the palette tour ;)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments