Canon Selphy Unboxing

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I am obsessed with my new toy! If you've been following this blog for a long time, you'll know that I migrated to an Epson Stylus 1400 wide format printer (13 inches wide) for my digital scrapbooking and photography needs back in 2008 (yes, really). I have been diligently using this printer for years (it works great) but the cost of ink cartridges vs sending print jobs to Costco made me stop using it a couple of years ago. Basically if you aren't using it a lot then the ink cartridges dry up and you don't get your money's worth.

However, Costco printing isn't always convenient when kids come to you the morning of a school presentation and ask for a baby photo (for getting to know me day), photo of an ancestor (for an immigration project) or a wolf (for research project) - yes these are *real* scenarios.

In addition my Project Life has stumbled as I want to send a year's photos at a time, but really who wants to write a year's worth of "about this photo" and who can even remember why the photo was taken, where it was etc.

So enter the Canon Selphy. Ok, so I kind of hate the name of this printer. I mean, I'm Gen X, I don't do selfies. However, the name is the only bad thing about this printer.



First of all, it's cute, did I say adorable!! It almost fits into the palm of your hand. While it's not the smallest printer on the market - it might be the smallest that prints a full 4x6 photo.

But what else?
Well it has wifi. So I might be late to the game on this, but printing from your cell phone, iPad or direct from your camera is huge. But you'll also be able to print from USB connection to your computer or laptop, and use an SD card to review photos and select them to print using the built in screen.

What about cost?
This printer was $119 CDN from Amazon. I also picked up a package of paper and ink cartridges (to print 108 images) for $40. There's a real advantage to this printer because they guarantee you can print exactly 108 images - no more no less. The package contains 3 packages of 36 sheets paper, and 3 ink cartridges. That works out to CDN $0.37 per print. Sure it's more than Costco (which charges CDN $0.10), but much more convenient when you only want a couple of images at a time.

Watch my Canon Selphy unboxing:


If you want a Canon Selphy, please consider using my Amazon links below. It doesn't cost you anything extra, but helps fund the cost of hosting this website and producing these videos.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments