Adventures in Spinning

Dec 29, 2012 5:15 PM

Drop spindling while fun turns out not to be as fun as spinning on a wheel (IMHO). I had been coveting a spinning wheel all year and decided to purchase one for Christmas and join the local spinning group (Ponderosa Spinners and Weavers).


I decided on a Lendrum wheel after seeing Jacey Boggs use hers in her new DVD Textured Spinning. I got the plying head/bobbin and the fast flyer as a set with the double treadle wheel. The wheel came with 3 extra bobbins on a lazy kate, in addition to the bobbin included on the regular flyer.



It has gotten quite a bit of use in the less than 3 weeks it's been here. First off, some undyed Knitpicks roving. 2 plied. Bulky weight.


Next, some aqua blue dyed Corriedale, 2 plied, also bulky weight. I got about 150 yards total from 4oz.


This was an experiment in combining colours. Corriedale roving in golden brown and a cornflower blue. Both spun as singles then 2 plied together. Weight is Bulky again. I got 260 yards out of the two 4oz rovings.

I'm still working on getting something thinner than bulky. It seems to fluff up some when it takes a bath to set the twist. 

Now I'm dreaming of buying a fleece in the Spring (shearing season) as purchasing roving off Etsy is proving to be expensive (I can spin/ply 4oz roving per weekend!).


You Might Also Like

0 comments

© 2016 All Rights Reserved

All words, art and images are my own unless otherwise stated. Please do not use them without my express permission as they are subject to copyright. Thanks.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive