Library of Memories 2: Digital Storage BindersApr 14, 2008 9:17 AM
The first step in Stacy Julian's workflow is to print her pictures by Season. She organizes her digital photos on her computer then send the faves (the ones she *might* scrapbook) out for printing. Once these come back she then organizes them into storage binders which are chronological.
As a mostly digital scrapbooker, I don't want to actually print any photos. When I download my photos they automatically get put into folders with the date. However, this doesn't mean that I can't organize them by season too.
In Photoshop Elements Organizer, I have created Smart Albums for each quarter, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec. In addition, each smart album is filtered to show only photos that are rated 2 or higher (my rating system is 0=no good, 1=ok, 2=good, 3=fabulous portfolio worthy).
This enables me to quickly look through what I have and see anything that is scrapworthy that I know that I haven't scrapped yet. I would like to implement a way to record what has been scrapped (or printed for traditional layouts) but haven't worked on this yet but have a couple of ideas I'll discuss in a later post.
I figure a couple of years worth of photos in these "storage binder" smart albums gives me plenty of fodder for scrapbooking.
Stacy clears out her storage binders after four years. I will just delete the smart albums instead.
How to create a digital storage binder in Photoshop Elements 6
- First make sure you have no filters or search in progress and that you are starting a new search.
- In the top right of the photo area select the number of stars you want to filter on. If you don't use a rating system them you won't need this step.
- On the timeline put the left and right sliders to select your date range. Each column represents one month.
- In the Albums pane, click on the plus "+" sign and select "Save Search Criteria As Smart Album". You will be prompted to name your album which will now show in the Album pane.
- To use your smart album, click on the name in the Album pane.
If you need to make changes to your album criteria:
- Select the album from the Album pane.
- Make changes to the search criteria as desired.
- Right click on the album name and select Save Changes to Album name.
The advantage to using a smart album is that what is shown is dynamically generated. So if you change the ratings of your photos or upload more photos for those dates, they will automatically appear/disappear from the album.
A similar system can be made in Lightroom and Bridge. Instead of Smart Albums you can use Collections to save your filter criteria.